Last Updated on
There I was at lunch with a friend today. He’s an engineering program manager for a local research organization. We met in a course recently, though we might have known each other for years. He’s a kind soul. A good heart. Warm. Friendly. Smart. We all know someone like him. Or we should. Or I hope we do. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.
Actually, guys like him are pretty rare. He’s an engineer who’s also a manager, and he gets the human element. He says his career and relationships got better when he gave up having to be right about everything. This was really hard for him because being an engineer is about solving problems: getting to the cause, being right, and defining the solution that eliminates the problem. He used to be really uncomfortable with problems because he felt like it was his responsibility to solve them (whether that was true or not). At least, that’s how he felt.
We met in a course about helping people improve their lives by helping them see things from a completely different perspective. Some people might call it reframing. Fundamentally, the course is about, by, and for people. He and I already knew we enjoyed working with other people. We even wanted to help them. Since then, he’s thought about coaching as a side business. So have I. I’d already sought and received a coaching certification. I’m gonna help this guy, and I’m gonna take the opportunity as far as I can. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.
We’ve set another lunch appointment next Wednesday, to explore that possibility in more detail. Essentially, we’ve set up a mastermind group to create coaching businesses. We may be short some people. Do you know anyone else who may be interested?
Consider And Act
- What would you do in this situation?
- Do you know someone who’s committed to creating a coaching business and looking for support? Have them get in touch with me!
- Do you know someone who feels stuck or might need some help? Have them get in touch with me!
- Are you aware of someone who’s been coached as an athlete or a professional? What was their experience? Why?
- Will you share with me your thoughts and experiences in this area? Leave a Reply or send me an email below.
- Share this story on social media with the buttons above and below this article.
- Connect with me on social media using the buttons at the right (let me know you saw my web site).
- Subscribe at right and receive a weekly email with links to my recent updates.
Also published on Medium.