Hi, I’m Dylan Cornelius.
How I Got Here
There I was on the phone with my brother, telling him how unhappy I was in my marriage.
“Do something about or quit complaining”, he said. “It’s been five years.”
“Five years?”, I asked. “You’re crazy. No way.”
“Oh, yes.”, he said. “Remember that other time you were unhappy? That was five years ago.”
“Oh my gosh!”, I thought back to that time. “It has been five years.”
…and when I told him that earlier story, I’d been sitting in that same green mini-van, in front of that same red brick house, after a day at that same job.
…and that job wasn’t a bed of roses either. I’d been passed over for promotions four times in three years, as I repeatedly watched my peers promoted to be my boss.
So I did what any Top-20 educated professional would do: I took more classes and read more books. But that didn’t solve my problems. Next, I hired therapists, counselors, coaches, doctors, attorneys, and nutritionists. I took classes and participated in 12-step programs, Toastmasters, Landmark and Weight Watchers.
Eventually, I saw the problem. Through decades of focus on achievement and self-development, I hadn’t been taking care of the people in my life, at home or at work, least of all myself.
When I began focusing on the quality of my relationships and taking care of people, my life turned around.
Though my marriage didn’t survive, I met an amazing woman who trained me to my first 2 marathons. I lost 50 pounds, and now I do marathons and triathlons for fun. Now, rather than being passed over for promotions and laid off, I’m picked to lead teams, and I’m routinely acknowledged for the value I provide people and organizations.
When I began focusing on building and sustaining teams, just as I’d done at work and trained to do in graduate school, I got my allergies and autoimmunity under control, and I began receiving awards for my running results. My Honey Bunny, Lori, and I ride a tandem bike on week-long tours. If there’s anything that will drive a relationship to its inevitable outcome, it’s tandem cycling and canoeing: our relationship works. Soon we’ll be doing month-long tours and hikes.
I’ve committed to creating a world that works for everyone, by building great relationships and high performing teams.
My personal mission is to inspire and empower people to get great results, by building great relationships and high performing teams..
My Personal Vision
My personal vision is a world that works for everyone.
- Adventure. I love the journey and process of creating the future, in initiatives with uncertain outcomes.
- Fitness: I believe everything can and should be sufficient for the need.
- Service: We are all better and more inspired when we are operating in service of something bigger than ourselves.
- Sustainability: I believe, if it’s worth having, we can produce it in such a way that we can have it for as long as it is worthwhile, and we can do it without destroying value elsewhere.
I’ve Been Featured in
|The Williamson County Sun|
|The Oakland Tribune|
|Promoted: The Proven Career Acceleration Formula To Reach The Top Without Working Harder Or Playing Office Politics|
My University Education
The University of California
Santa Clara University
Management of Technology and Innovation
My Professional Certifications
Some Athletic Pursuits
More About Me
- A Few Favorites for Inspiration, Athletics, Performance, and Recovery
- Continuous Improvement In Triathlon: I Want To Qualify For Boston Marathon
- My Life Is A Caricature. Is Yours?
- Why I Run: My Journey To Fitness. You Can Get Fit Too.
- DylanCornelius.com: About This Blog
- How to be Successful in Life
- You Can Powerfully Upgrade Your Self Talk With Positive Affirmations
- Create a Plan: Plot a Path to Your Product
- Build Team, Grow Great Results.
- Find Purpose: 2nd Key to Great Results
- Be Organized: Use a PowerBoard
- You Can Use Market Cycles For Healthy Investment Returns
- DylanCornelius.com 3 and 12 month Accomplishments: January 3, 2019
- 3rd Quarter 2018 Goals Update
- Are you ready to re-think work?