Hi, I’m Dylan Cornelius.
Since you’re here, we may share something in common
I help mid-career professionals and knowledge workers have confidence with a personal strategic plan using the “Career Acceleration Roadmap.”
When I’m not “at work,” I’m working out on a road or trail in preparation for a marathon, triathlon, or obstacle course race.
Any other time, I’m planning or taking a tour with my Honey Bunny, Lori, on foot, on a tandem bike, or on any other form of transportation that’ll get the job done.
Please introduce yourself, and let’s exchange adventure stories!
It hasn’t always seemed so simple
I was on the phone with my brother, telling him how unhappy I was in my marriage.
“Do something about it or quit complaining”, he said. “It’s been five years.”
“Five years?”, I asked. “You’re crazy. No way.”
“Oh, yes.”, he said. “Remember that other time you were unhappy? That was five years ago.”
He told me a story that sounded vaguely familiar. At first, it didn’t register, but then I realized it was my story. It had happened in my life — to me.
“Oh my gosh!”, I thought back to that time. “It has been five years!”
…and when I told him that earlier story, I’d been sitting in that same green mini-van, in front of that same red brick house next to the lake, after a day at that same job.
I struggled on my own for a long time
…and that job wasn’t a bed of roses either. I’d been passed over for promotions four times in three years, as I repeatedly watched my peers promoted to be my boss.
So I did what any Top-20 university-educated professional would do: I took more classes and read more books. But that didn’t solve my problems. Next, I hired therapists, counselors, coaches, doctors, attorneys, and nutritionists. I took classes and participated in 12-step programs, Toastmasters, Landmark, and Weight Watchers.
Eventually, I saw the problem. Through decades of focus on achievement and self-development, I hadn’t been taking care of the people in my life, at home or at work, least of all myself.
I applied the “Career Acceleration Roadmap” and my life improved
When I began focusing on the quality of my relationships and taking care of people, my life turned around.
Though my marriage didn’t survive, I met an amazing woman who trained me for my first 2 marathons. I lost 50 pounds, and now I do marathons and triathlons for fun. Now, rather than being passed over for promotions and laid off, I’m picked to lead teams, and I’m routinely acknowledged for the value I provide to people and organizations.
When I began focusing on building and sustaining teams, just as I’d done at work and trained to do in graduate school, I got my allergies and autoimmunity under control, and I began receiving awards for my running results. My Honey Bunny, Lori, and I ride a tandem bike on week-long tours. If there’s anything that will drive a relationship to its inevitable outcome, it’s tandem cycling and canoeing: our relationship works. Soon we’ll be doing month-long tours and hikes.
I want to help you, too
I’ve committed to creating a world that works for everyone, by helping everyone apply the “Career Acceleration Roadmap” in their own lives and careers:
- Clarify your purpose in life.
- Upgrade your mindset and self-talk.
- Build great relationships.
- Enhance your leadership skills and teamwork.
More about Dylan Cornelius
My Personal Mission
I am committed to inspiring and empowering innovative, impactful, inspiring, committed, and fun people to fulfill their purpose in life using the “Career Acceleration Roadmap”.
My Personal Vision
I envision a world that works for everyone, with no one and nothing left out.
My Personal Values
- Adventure. I love the journey and process of creating the future, in initiatives with uncertain outcomes.
- Fitness: I believe everything can and should be sufficient for the need.
- Service: We are all better and more inspired when we are operating in service of something bigger than ourselves.
- Sustainability: I believe, if it’s worth having, we can produce it in such a way that we can have it for as long as it is worthwhile, and we can do it without destroying value elsewhere.
I’ve Been Featured in
|The Williamson County Sun|
|The Oakland Tribune|
|Promoted: The Proven Career Acceleration Formula To Reach The Top Without Working Harder Or Playing Office Politics|
My University Education
The University of California
Santa Clara University
Management of Technology and Innovation
My Professional Certifications
Some Athletic Pursuits
Articles about Dylan Cornelius
- Continuous Improvement In Triathlon: I Want To Qualify For Boston Marathon
- A Few Favorites for Inspiration, Athletics, Performance, and Recovery
- My Intention To Experience The World Fully
- 5 Reasons I Wanted to Start a Small Business
- Why I Run: My Journey To Fitness. You Can Get Fit Too.
- Use These 3 Tools to Stimulate Creativity and Self-Expression
- Hidden Figures Film Is A Great Case Study Of Success In Large Team Projects
- Places: Context is decisive. Have confidence everywhere.
- Why Doesn’t It Look Like I’m Losing Weight?
- How to be Successful in Life